Saturday, August 8, 2009

Health Department Blues

My employer allows me to take sick days for doctor's appointments, so that is what I did yesterday, took a whole day off for 4 doctors appointments (Carrie had to just take a day off). I felt like it might be a little selfish, because I figured we would spend maybe 4 hours between driving and waiting to go. Oh I was wrong, dead wrong. And while waiting in the STD testing room at the Metro Health Department for an HIV test I realized that this just might be the place where people go to die. We were suppose get a TB test there also, but it took too long to get the HIV test. If that wasn't bad enough (it really wasn't) the test took a total time of about 15 seconds. All they did was swab my mouth. We waited 20 minutes for results(or so they said more like 45 minutes) and we were done. We did pop our heads into the TB testing place, and I think we possibly could have been infected with TB for doing that. So we left the health department knowing that we were HIV free. Between the scary people in there and the guys hitting on another woman we made it out alive, barely. Yes, I would think that an STD testing facility would be the last place you would want to hit on a woman, but I guess "true love" can happen anywhere. Then we were off to the actual doctor. Carrie had a hard time with her doctor. I had a much better time. The nurse was very nice, and I was like "this is good maybe the doctor will not give me a hard time about adoption." So he was very friendly to me. Much more than last time I saw him and he was very willing to help me and fill out the form. Turns out he and his sister had been adopted, and his wife was adopted too. He was very pro-adoption. Not sure if he was a Christian, but it was just nice to have some postive reinforcement for our decision and God's choice for us. After this we went to the walk in clinic and got our remaining tests the TB test and my drug screeing. Don't worry I ate 15 poppy seed muffins the night before I think I will do fine. This was also a much better experience than the health department. I guess at this point just about anything is better than the health department. I mean at the health department where I had my HIV test done there was an examination room/copier room. At the walk in clinic, I had an actual examination room there was no copier in it. Anyways, we made it yesterday and got home later than a normal day of work. I would have much rather been at work. That was not a fun day, but we are done with doctors and STD testees hitting on other STD testees. Give us a virtual high five. High Five

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tweten Adoption