Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dedication

Oh, God-of-the-Angel-Armies,
If you'll take a good, hard look at my pain,
If you'll quit neglecting me and go into action for me
By giving me a son,
I'll give him completely, unreservedly to you.
I'll set him apart for a life of holy discipline.




Before the year was out, Hannah had conceived and given birth to a son. She named him Samuel, explaining, "I asked God for him."




When Elkanah next took his family on their annual trip to Shiloh to worship God, offering sacrifices and keeping his vow, Hannah didn't go. She told her husband, "After the child is weaned, I'll bring him myself and present him before God—and that's where he'll stay, for good."


1 Samuel 1:10-11, 20-22, The Message




When we started our adoption I had a cursory knowledge of the story of Hannah and Samuel. Since then it has taken on a special significance. We didn't name Sam "Sam", it was simply the code name Bethany had given him on their list. But the story took hold along with the name. Sam was a son desperately wanted by his mother. I related to the pain Hannah feels in her waiting. For almost a year I thought of Hannah and her fervent prayer and felt it in my heart.



The thing I didn't remember is the second half of Hannah's prayer.



We had baby dedications this week at church. I expected them to make me sad because I really thought Sam would be home by the time these dedications rolled around. But I wasn't sad. I was happy for the parents up there and looking forward to the day I can dedicate Sam to the Lord. Hannah didn't just ask God for a son. She also dedicated his life to God. I am really learning that Sam's life belongs to God. Any moment I get to spend being his mom is a privilege and a gift. I think about how Hannah must have cherished those moments every year when she could visit Samuel at the temple and how proud of him she must have been.



God had big plans for Samuel's life. God has big plans for Sam's life. I'm just lucky that I'll get to play a small part in them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tweten Adoption