Friday, June 4, 2010

What do we deserve?

I was praying for Sam today, and somehow it crossed my mind that he deserves a family. I realized that he does not deserve a family nor do I deserve a family. Not really sure why I thought he deserves anything or why I deserve anything. I realized what Sam needs is a family, but what he needs and what he deserves are two completely different things. The same goes for me what I deserve and what I need.

I have been reading Romans, and I have been stuck on Romans 3:1-9. It is complex, but fortunately a couple of weeks ago I got a commentary from Matthew Henry. I have been reading this a lot especially in reference to those verses in Romans. There is a cross-reference to Romans 9:4, which talks about the Jews being adopted by God. It is easy to forget that the Jews were the original orphans who were adopted. They didn't deserve it, but they needed. God choose them. He could have chosen any other people, but He choose them. Nothing they ever did would justify this divine choice, but God choose them.

In fact just like us Christians (and me, especially me), they have rejected God many times from building a golden calf to doubting God abilities to provide them with the land of milk and honey. Sound familiar? It does to me. I have doubted God a lot though this process and all He has ever done is provide me with exactly what I need. It is not always what I want, but it is always what I need. He choose the Jews and He choose me, and continues to provide me with what I need, and not what I want. It is easy to get the two confused.

This really doesn't have to do with our adoption. But it more of what I am studying and how it applies to my life right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tweten Adoption