Friday, March 12, 2010

What's in a name?

The blog has been made private because you never know when big brother Russia is watching you, but it being private means I can share the details with you all.

Today we got what may be the closest thing to a referral that we're going to get. Sam's birthday is in November (most likely the 2nd like I thought). It says he's outgoing with gray eyes (I say they're blue) and light brown hair. We knew all of this. We also found out some info on his parents that I don't want to share here but will be good for him to know when he's older.

Here is where the debate comes in. We knew Sam wasn't his real name but were going to change it because I love the name Samuel. I love that God gave him that "code name" for a purpose because it is what Hannah named her son after praying for him for a long time. The Bible says she named him Samuel because "I asked God for him". In my head his name is Sam.

We had always agreed that his middle name would be Stanley. It's a Tweten family name and it seemed like a good fit.

Today we got his Russian name and are now in a tizzy over whether to keep it. I think before we knew it we were okay with changing it. Now we aren't sure. His Russian name is Alexey, which I don't like. I also don't like Alex.

But neither of us is ever going to back down on our chosen names. So what do we do? 2 middle names? Samuel Alexey Stanley Tweten is a little bit of a mouthful. What do you guys think? Too much?

Leave us a message and let us know, maybe one of us can be swayed.

7 comments:

Happy Wife said...

What about Samlexley???....it could catch on.... I sent you a note Carrie and Tim... love you all - Kim

Happy Wife said...

Is Alec any better?

Tim said...

I tried to convince Carrie that AlexSAMder was a good name, but she didn't listen.

the5thwheelers said...

You have to very happy guys by the name of Stanley. My question is "What is the problem with Glen or Glenn"? Love you, Grandma

Valerie said...

Well since the rest of the family has weighed in.....
I say go with the two middle names. In many countries children are given multiple names, its not that weird. I think its a nice gesture to keep his Russian name and allow him to still be "connected" to his heritage that way. And, I kinda like the sound of all the names. My nephews have 2 first names, one English and one Chinese. Its just a nice way of reminding him as he gets older where he came from and what his roots are.

alicia said...

iHi Tim and Carrie...You could always spell Samuel with an a (Samual)with Sam and Al (short for Alex so both names are in one...Uncle Ross said you could name him Samuel Alexander Tweten...pretty nice sounding, we think! God will direct you...He is so blessed to have you as his Mom and Dad!!! Love you!

Tim said...

I think we decided to go with the 2 middle names.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tweten Adoption