Thursday, October 20, 2011

365 days of Sam

1 year ago and 1 day ago was Sam's last day as an orphan. 1 year later and he is such an intrinsic part of our lives that I can't imagine even 1 day without him. A year ago he spoke no English, did not know how to be part of a family, and only ate like 3 foods.

Today Sam eats so many foods I can't list them all, he speaks practically no Russian, and most importantly he learns every day a little bit more about being part of a family.

Before we adopted we were told that there were two types of orphans: the resilient and the not resilient and since then I prayed for resiliency. I prayed that Sam would be able to leave the orphanage behind him and be happy. That prayer has been answered over and over again. Sam will always be adopted but thankfully he is no longer an orphan and the orphanage does not define him.

A year later and Sam is in kindergarten. He knows his alphabet and all the sounds. He can count to 100 (just ask him), he loves to color, he loves to jump off anything, he is finally growing out of the 3T/4T clothes we bought last year, he LOVES to play with other children, he is on a soccer team and isn't the worst player on the team, he's been to the beach and to Colorado, and he has been hugged, kissed, and loved for 365 in a row.

Almost every morning I wake up with Sam snuggled next to me and every morning I thank God for this incredible blessing. 365 days ago we weren't a family and now we are. Sam makes everything better. Even when I am sad, he finds a way to make me laugh. God made me to be Sam's mom, but more importantly God made Sam just to be my son and I'm grateful that I get to spend many more years with him.

Today we did all the things Sam loves. We ate donuts for breakfast, played at Goofballs, had lunch with papa, made a paper pumpkin for school, ate ice cream with Babushka, played outside, had delicious beef stroganoff for dinner and a Spiderman cake for dessert. Then we read our story and watched food network together until he fell asleep.

God is good. God can turn an orphan into a Sam. God can turn three people into a family. God has a plan and everytime I look at Sam I know it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tweten Adoption