Friday, September 4, 2009

Trains

When I was a little girl I used to take the train to my grandmother's house. This sounds very exciting and the first time I did it I thought so too. But the thing is California is a very very long state. And trains are surprisingly very very slow. For the first half hour or so everything on the train is interesting and the coloring books my mom stuck in my backpack were new and exciting and I could watch people settle in and look out the window and it was great. And then slowly it would get less and less exciting and I'd just start itching to be at my grandma's house, trying on new handmade dresses and eating fritos. And then the worst part. The train would inevitably stop. Completely stop in the same place for like 20 minutes at a time. Which when you're eight years old feels like a life time. That's how I was starting to feel about the adoption process. Stopped, with no control over when I can start moving again and no idea how long it will be until I get to my destination. And then God sent along the metaphorical snack cart. Last night was the first meeting of our both hands team and sitting there among friends I felt renewed. Like maybe everything wasn't just stopped. We have amazing incredible friends and it would have been worth is just to have them all in the same space for awhile but having them in the same place and knowing that they were there to support us was just what I needed. Maybe it's just that I needed a project. But I don't think so. I think I was prepared for this journey to go one specific way and when it stopped going that way I was very discouraged. Looking back I know that an eight year-old can't drive a train, but somehow I always managed to get to my grandmother's house. So I'm praying that I will be able to let God lead and trusting that he'll get us safely to our destination.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Tweten Adoption